Thursday, May 13, 2010

Happy mother’s day

I know I am a few days late to write about it. I am not the one who remembers all the days. But accidently I was talking about my mom during this year’s mother’s day to a bunch of my European friends.
Last Saturday night, I was partying along with a group of my AIESEC friends. We were partying till 5 in the morning and all of a sudden, a group of 10-15 people decided to go to Sauna which lies near to the lake.  Sauna, it is one of the things I like the most in Sweden. For the kind of weather in Scandinavia, it is a perfect fit. We were crazy enough to alternate between the cold lake and the hot sauna for few times. After we got tired of lake, we were sitting inside the sauna thinking about what to do. We were trying few games, after a few we came with this one. Everyone has to tell something about them which others don’t know.  We were telling some funny stuff about ourselves. One of our friends told that his mother styled his hair till he was 9 and everyone seems excited about it. It seemed normal to me; I suppose it will seem normal to most of the Indians. When my turn came, I told my mother styled my hair till I was 17.
Well I can easily say I was one of the most pampered kids in the world. My mother fed me food regularly till I went to university. Every time I had an exam, she used to sit near me and feed me when I was reading.  I learnt how to tie shoe lace during my first year in university. I have never washed my dishes nor did anything in Kitchen. Even she used to shower me at times, it continues even now especially when I take oil bath. I used to come home once in a month or so from the university and I always take the last bus at 20:20 and reach home by 12:30. She always waited for me till then and we ate together after that. Every time I went to university from my home, I used to take early morning bus at 6:15 but by that time she would have prepared breakfast for me and also packed me food for lunch. After starting to work, the frequency that I used to visit her become very less. I go home once in three months or so. Every time I go home, she will make at least a sweet apart from different kinds of food which I like. My European friends here in Sweden found it really interesting and they asked me whether I miss her. Do I really miss her?
I have been living out of my family for the past 9 years by now. So I got used to living without my family but that’s not the case for my mother.  At times, I have wondered who are all in this world will miss me if I am not there. Every time the first person that comes to mind is my mother. Every time I call her the first thing she asks me is what I ate and how is my health. Even though I got used to living away from her, she is one of the factor I consider before taking any major decisions in my life right from where I should settle down till whom I should date. She doesn’t know English and I want to live in a city where it is easy for her to have some friends who can understand her. It’s the same thing with the girl whom I am going to be with. She should be able to communicate with my mother and understand her. That’s one of the main reasons why it’s difficult for me to see someone here. I have to admit that it is very hard to control your emotions at times but I hope that I maintain these two things.
Recently my sister started working and she moved out. I am sensing that my mother is suffering from Empty nest syndrome. The only thing she is expecting from me is to hear my voice and show my face once in a while via Skype. But I rarely call her. From now I decide that I am going to call her once in two days. Mom, I know you can’t read this blog, but all what I wanted to say is “I love you”.

P.S: Mother’s day is celebrated during second Sunday of may in India and in lot of other countries.

15 comments:

தனசேகர் said...

Hey Santha !

Its 100% true !! Have it as a habit -- Make sure you call home every day - though the same question & answer -- they feel relived that we are there and start the day afresh !


Cheers/Dhanasekar

Anbey Sivam said...

Dai,

If you realize her love then you should call her daily. I know you very lazy guy and you won't make it as habit.

வினையூக்கி said...

நண்பா அருமை

Sridhar said...

Just keep calling her...

Sundhar said...

Good move da.

Unknown said...

Am curious to know if you have said "I love you" to her in person. :-) I have personally found it very hard.

Sundhar said...

;-)

(On behalf of Japan)

பதி said...

Excellent post Shantha !!!! :)

Unknown said...

Came across this post through your gtalk status - and it was very nice, made me realize that i do most of the things that you wrote in your post.

rathinamurthy said...

Good post da!

karteek said...

hey santha it is really very emotional keep it up
i usually call to my mom atleast once in two days.
i really miss her
i believe that no one in the world loves me as like my mom
I LOVE YOU MOM

Unknown said...

//Mom, I know you can’t read this blog, but all what I wanted to say is “I love you”.//
வாழ்த்துக்கள் அண்ணா!
அருமை!

Unknown said...

//Mom, I know you can’t read this blog, but all what I wanted to say is “I love you”.//
வாழ்த்துக்கள் அண்ணா!
அருமை

Vinod Prabhu Nagarajan said...

Wonderful post da... it reminded me of my school/undergrad days with My mom feeding food when I was getting ready in the mornings especially the exam days...

Mom - a beautiful soul who doesn't even know to expect love from us, in return of whatever she does for us

miss her :(

Madhan said...

dei... good post...very true...